CCI-NL Directors Course
The Condominium Directors Course is a course about the unique attributes of the highly regulated world of condominium property including outlining the governing authority, the corporate structure of condominiums and how condominiums are managed.
The Course was designed by the CCI-NL Chapter specifically for the education of individuals interested in managing condominiums in our province. The course is a self-paced reading assignment with comprehension questions at the end.
COST: Members = $27.50. Non-members = $47.50.
Directors Course Introduction
Brief course overview including overall CCI objectives.
Chapter 1 - Condominium Concepts
- Outline the history of condominiums in Newfoundland & Labrador
- Describe a condominium
- Explain how a condominium is created
- List the types of condominium developments
- Discuss the types of condominium structures and usage
- Identify registered documents
- Describe the basic elements of a condominium
- Explain Corporation concepts.
Chapter 2 - Governing Authority, Structure, Roles & Responsibilities
- Outline the governing authority of a condominium
- Explain the corporate structure of a condominium
- Describe the governing body: the Board
- Identify the standard of conduct and ethics facing Boards and Property Managers
- List four ways to carry out the Board role.
Chapter 3 - Management Styles
- Describe both the policy and management roles of the Board
- List and describe three styles of management
- Outline the process and reasons for assessing the management needs
- Summarize how to choose and implement the appropriate management style
- Explain how to effect change in the management style.
Chapter 4 - Management Issues
- Explain the administrative issues facing a Corporation and how to deal with them,
- Identify four financial issues,
- List five insurance & risk management issues,
- Describe the duty to maintain and repair, a Reserve Fund Study, the components of the physical property, and
- Explain how to create a positive community atmosphere and deal with professionals.
Chapter 5 - Meetings
- Describe five common elements of every meeting
- List six general tips for effective meetings
- Explain ten rules of conduct for meetings
- Conduct a board meeting using an agenda and rules of order
- Identify the steps in preparing for an annual general meeting
- List six items to include in minutes
- Discuss the differences between an extraordinary general and annual general meetings
- Explain the wording, amending and passing of motions
- Describe who can vote and how they vote at condominium meetings
- Outline the role of the property manager at condominium meetings
- Appendix A: Typical Standard Unit Definition
- Appendix B: Example Estoppel Certificate
- Appendix C: Typical Resident Information Package
- Appendix D: Typical Property Management Contract
- Appendix E: Example Fire Safety Plan
Registration and Access
This course is available until June 30, 2022.
- Cost to members is $27.50; non-members is $47.50. Individual registration and payment by credit card only.
- After successful registration, additional instructions will be sent by email.
- Click here to register for the course.
- Click here to download the course materials. This is a single PDF file.
- A password is required to open this PDF file. You must successfully register to obtain a password.
- Separate fillable PDF files for the test questions and course feedback are available below.
This test is provided so that you can gauge your understanding of the material. The test consists of four multiple choice questions for each of the five chapters. You may submit your test for grading. Those submitting a test that achieves a passing grade will receive a certificate of successful completion from CCI NL.
- Click here to download a copy of the test questions.
- This file is a fillable PDF form. To complete the form, the use of proper software such as Acrobat Reader is required. NOTE: Devices (such as tablets) may require that you install an additional app (beyond a PDF reader) in order to use the features of a form. Please consult with your device manufacturer for advice on a suitable app.
- Use the same password that you used for the course materials to open this password-protected PDF file.
- Complete the test by a) supplying information that identifies you and b) selecting an answer to each question.
- Remember to save your responses.
- Submit your answers for grading by following the instructions on the first page.
Course Comments & Ratings
Please help CCI NL meet our goal to continuously improve this course for the benefit of all those involved in the condominium industry here in NL. Upon completion of this Course, we encourage the participant to forward comments and suggestions to CCI-NL Director David Cumming.
- Click here to download the Comment & Ratings form.
- No password is needed to open the file.
- This file is a fillable PDF form and proper software is required as noted above.
- Please remember to save your answers.
- Submit your feedback by following the instructions on the first page.